What is North Carolina Pre-Kindergarten (NC Pre-K) Program?
NC Pre-K, formerly known as More at Four, is a state-funded, community-based, voluntary pre-kindergarten initiative designed to prepare at-risk four-year-olds in North Carolina for success in school. NC Pre-K is provided at no cost to eligible families and children who are not currently enrolled in a child care setting that meets NCPK requirements.NC Pre-K is offered from 8:00am to 2:30pm for 10 months and generally follows the Lee County Schools’ calendar for attendance.
What Does NC Pre-K Offer?
- Full school day, full year program that meets high-quality state standards
- High-quality child care centers, with certified teachers and state approved curriculum
- Small class size with two teachers
- Family support regarding developmental screening and placement for children with special needs
- Kindergarten transition coordination to support families and children as a child moves from pre-kindergarten to kindergarten
- Focus on the child, as well as the whole family
- Health and nutritional information for families
Is My Child Eligible?
Children must be 4-years-old by August 31st of the current school year to be eligible.
Other criteria include:
- Family gross income
- Military dependents
- Limited English Proficiency
- Identified disability (IEP)
- Chronic Health Condition(s)
- Developmental/Educational Need
- How Do I Register?
We will begin accepting applications for 2016-17 school year. Applications will be accepted by appointment only. Please call 919.774.9496 for an appointment and have the following ready to review:
- Child’s Original Birth Certificate
- Proof of Residency (Utility Bill, Cable Bill, etc. Photo ID's and/or Driver's License NOT accepted)
- One Month Proof of Income (pay stubs, tax return, employer verification)
The following documents are also needed only if they apply to you:
- Documentation of your child's IEP
- Documentation of Child Support
- DSS Child Care Subsidy Voucher
- Lee County Partnership for Children Child Care Subsidy Voucher
NC Pre-K Waiting List
Our goal is to serve every eligible child in Lee County. Unfortunately, there are limited NC Pre-K spots. Names of eligible children who have not received placement will be placed on a NC Pre-K waiting list. We know how disappointing this may be. We will contact you immediately if a spot becomes available for your child.